Search Engine Optimization (or SEO) has a bit of mystery surrounding it. But I can assure you there is no “magic” involved. It is systematic and process-driven.
SEO is the way you ensure you are making it easy for the people you want to reach to find you where they are already looking.
The process by which we achieve that has definitely matured from the days when words—unable to be seen by the naked eye—were pasted into the code as a way to game the search systems. While tactics like this one worked in the past, they don’t anymore.
Google is constantly improving its algorithms to ensure the purest and most relevant data produced by verified authors is presented at the top of organic search results. Panda and Penguin have humanized SEO and forced it to work cooperatively and collaborating with brand messaging and marketing.
If you’re looking to hire an SEO copywriter, here are some questions to help you assess if the candidate you’re sitting across the table from is the right one for your business, brand, or cause:
- Do they use phrases like “keyword density”?
- Are they aware of the implications of Google’s recent search metric updates: Panda and Hummingbird?
- Can they explain Google Authorship?
- Do they know the difference between Author Rank and Authorship?
- Do they believe there is a defined word count that will improve your search result?
- Are they testing SEO personally both in real-time and side projects to better understand different combinations of strategies and tactics impact search results?
- Do they have a process to their workflow, or do they just randomly try things and see what sticks?
SEO is real and powerful. It is constantly evolving. And cutting through the clutter of digital content is something that should be a top-level priority for your business, brand, or cause because people will go online first to find you—even if they don’t know you exist yet.
Hiring an SEO copywriter is essential for long-term content marketing success. Just be sure you go into it with eyes wide open.
What have you learned from work with SEO copywriters?
Latest posts by Ben Stroup (see all)
- Further commentary about my move to Pursuant - April 2, 2014
- Content marketing is an endurance sport - March 31, 2014
- The fatal flaw in the practice of content marketing - March 24, 2014