[Note: I'm continuing a series on Saturdays called "The Toolbox." My intent is to highlight some of the software, products, and services that have become invaluable to me in my work. I think they will be helpful to you, too. I'd welcome your suggestions on what to review. You should know that these are not sponsored posts, and I'm not acting as an affiliate or receiving any funds for this series.]
I’m in a lot of different places and much of my work is dependent upon my access to the internet. That means if I can’t access the Web, I break out in a sweat and start breathing heavily. (OK. Maybe that’s a little too dramatic.) But it’s irritating when you can’t find a wifi access point or don’t want to pay for one at every hotel and airport I find myself in. This is why having a mobile hotspot is essential for mobile professionals.
I use the iPhone (as I believe the whole word should…just sayin’) so I was thrilled when they added the the hotspot option. I immediately upgraded. For a few extra dollars per month, my iPhone becomes a hotspot that:
- Connects up to 5 devices via bluetooth, wifi, or via usb cable.
- Gives me instant access to the internet at a speed that beats most public wifi speeds. (My perception and experience, of course.)
- Allows me to avoid buying the 3G versions of devices like the iPad which saves me money.
- Doubles my data allowance from 2 to 4 gigs per month.
- Avoids the add-on cost of internet access when traveling. (Take that airports and hotels!)
- Keeps me from having to lug around one more piece of equipment.
I’ve been using my iPhone as a hotspot for about a month now and couldn’t be happier with its ability to keep me sane (oops…I mean connected!).
Ben Stroup is a content activist in a post-paragraph world. He is chief broker of opportunity at Ben Stroup Enterprises. Connect with Ben via email, Twitter, and Google+. Subscribe via email to learn how to use content to move people to action.