[Note: I'm continuing a series on Saturdays called "The Toolbox." My intent is to highlight some of the software, products, and services that have become invaluable to me in my work. I think they will be helpful to you, too. I'd welcome your suggestions on what to review. You should know that these are not sponsored posts, and I'm not acting as an affiliate or receiving any funds for this series.]
Shoeboxed.com has quickly become an important part of my workflow. I’ve made a commitment to “go paperless” which can be a struggle, especially when it comes to lengthy project documentation, client material archiving, and expense receipts. Shoeboxed.com provides a great alternative to sitting at my personal scanner all day.
My favorite part of Shoeboxed.com is that…
- I don’t have to scan expense receipts at the end of every month.
- I can e-mail what I need scanned to my account, upload directly from my computer or iPhone, and even mail them in (on their dime) and have the documentation scanned by hand.
- When you mail your documentation in you can choose to have them send you the paper copy back or they will recycle it on your behalf.
- I don’t have to manually organize the receipts.
- I can organize them based on my business, not general categories. This helps give me good feedback about my expense projections and my actual receipts.
- I don’t have to keep endless amounts of paper in boxes forever and ever. All the scans are legal and approved by the IRS. That means they can stand up in court and in a formal audit.
- I can back up all my receipts to my Evernote account.
- I can instantly create an expense report to send my accountant that is organized and has all the receipt images attached.
- It’s in the cloud, so I only need internet access.
- I no longer have to worry about keeping client reports or documentation that is exchanged during an engagement. Many times it is completed by 3rd parties, so I don’t have the original electronic file.
- No more time wasted manually scanning large amounts of paper which means I can stay focused on client work.
If you’re tired of keeping boxes of paper stored any number of places, then Shoeboxed.com will help you unpack those boxes and “go paperless” today!
Ben Stroup is a content activist in a post-paragraph world. He is chief broker of opportunity at Ben Stroup Enterprises. Connect with Ben via email, Twitter, and Google+. Subscribe via email to learn how to use content to move people to action.