I could fill a book with all the excuses I’ve heard from pastors about church giving. Here are some of my favorites:
- Church giving is not my responsibility.
- They never taught us about that in seminary.
- I’m not a numbers guy.
- That’s why I hired [insert name of another staff member].
- Talking about money isn’t spiritual.
- If I just have enough faith, God will make sure we meet our budget.
- We have all the money we need to do all the ministry we can.
- I’d rather talk about anything but church giving.
- As long as we’re paying the bills, I don’t need to think or talk about money.
- If I talk about money, people will complain or leave the church.
Every pastor who makes excuses about church giving leads a church that is struggling when it comes to funding ministry. I find it ironic that the churches who don’t make excuses are thriving.
Are you making excuses or taking action? Pastor, giving IS your responsibility.